Student Subclass 500 Visas


Are you applying for a first student visa? Or for student visa extension from onshore or offshore? You can include your family members or work part-time while you study

Student Visas allow international students to travel to and from Australia and live in Australia while they undertake a full-time course of study. There are many different courses an international student may enrol in, and it is possible to apply for permission to work part-time while studying

When applying for a student visa, you can include your partner if you wish or apply for separate spouse visas, or dependent visas or subsequent entry visas. Parents or relatives of a student who is less than 16 years old can apply for a guardian visa to stay in Australia with the student.

While on a student visa, you can change your course onshore to one leading to permanent residency (PR), or change your educational provider. Our educational agent in Melbourne can assist with advice on various course providers, including those involved with level 1 providers and can help with student visa extensions. If you are eligible, our migration agent or senior migration consultant can help you apply for graduate work visas and with pursuing other options.

Eligible Providers Level 1 include bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Students applying for student visas are treated as lower risk by DIBP ( Department of Immigration and Broder Protection).

On the other hand, risk assessments can vary depending on one’s passport and country of origin. Risk assessment levels range from 1 to 4. For a diploma of hospitality, an Indian student’s assessment level would be 3. Our consultants can help such a student with their financial statements, and with meeting genuine entry and IELTS requirements.


Visa Requirements

First enrol in a CRICOS-registered course,

GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant)

You must be a genuine student to complete studies in Australia and comply with visa conditions and return to home after your studies.


The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.

You must satisfy DIBP that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.

When assessing the GTE requirement, DIBP would consider the requirements set out in direction number 69, and take following in account:

  • your circumstances
  • your immigration history
  • if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
  • any other relevant matter.

This would generally involve demonstrating how the studies are relevant to your background, and how they will improve your employment prospects in your home country.

Country Levels and Provider Levels

Ratings apply to different education providers and to different passport countries.

Depending on the combination of your passport country and the education provider, you will either need to meet:

  • Evidentiary Requirements: in this case you would need to provide evidence of English language ability and finances
  • Streamlined Evidentiary Requirements: evidence of English language ability or finances not generally required

English Language  

If it is Evidentiary Requirements, you will need to provide evidence of your English language ability.

This would generally require you to undertake English language testing – minimum scores

  • IELTS: 5.5 Average
  • TOEFL (Paper): 527
  • TOEFL iBT: 46
  • CAE (Cambridge): 162
  • PTE (Pearson): 42
  • OET (Occupational English Test): B Pass

If you are completing ELICOS (English language) studies as part of a packaged course, the English scores are somewhat lower.

You may be exempt from English language testing if:

  • You hold a passport from certain countries
  • You have previously studied in English medium or in Australia
  • You are enrolled in certain types of courses

Financial Requirement

If required, you would need to provide evidence that you have sufficient funds to undertake studies in Australia. This could be either of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover your studies for the first 12 months of your stay in Australia; or
  • Evidence of taxable income of your parents or spouse for the last 12 months


How to apply ONLINE

Students can lodge student visa applications onshore or offshore via online, our consultants who can assist with a free consultation.

We also have an overseas office in India, where you can get assistance from our Indian educational agent and Indian student visa agent.

Contact Us to Book for a Consultation with our Student visa agent in Melbourne


Share itEmail this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on RedditDigg this