In late 2013, the department conducted an evaluation of occupational ceilings to assess how they have operated to date and to consider changes to ensure they are performing their intended function.
Based on feedback received as part of the evaluation, the following changes will be in place from 1 March 2014:
- State and territory nominated visas will no longer be subject to occupational ceiling limitations
- The minimum ceiling for each occupational group will be 1000 invitations.
As there are still high levels of interest from prospective skilled migrants in the following six occupations, pro rata arrangements for these occupational groups will continue:
- Chemical and Materials Engineers
- Electronics Engineers
- Other Engineering Professionals
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts
- Software and Applications Programmers
- Telecommunications Engineering Professionals.
Details of the cut-offs for these occupations will continue to be included in the regular invitation round reports.