Do you have a skilled occupation that is in demand in Australia’s Northern Territory (NT) and you would like to migrate?

If so the NT Government may be interested in nominating you to support your visa application under one of the nominated general skilled migration visa subclasses.

Please read the common questions for NT Government visa nominations.

What does nomination by the Northern Territory Government mean?

The NT Government can nominate you as a skilled migrant if you have an occupation on the NT Migration Occupation List.

The NT Government can also nominate you if your occupation is not on the NT Migration Occupation List but it is on the Australian Government’s current list of eligible skilled occupations and you have:

  • skills and experience relevant to the NT
  • strong evidence of positive employment prospects in the NT either in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation
  • a demonstrated commitment to living and working in the NT or if you have been living and working in the NT for the specified period – read important information if you already live in Australia.

The NT Government nominates on the basis that you are committed to living and working in your skilled occupation or in a closely related skilled occupation in the NT.

A condition of NT Government nomination is that you look for work, live and settle for at least three years in the NT after your visa has been granted.


To migrate to Australia’s Northern Territory (NT) under an NT Government nomination you must:

  • meet the Australian Government requirements to be granted the visa
  • be nominated by the NT Government
  • be able to meet all other Australian Government visa requirements for permanent residence including age, health and character if applicable – this includes you and any dependents included on your visa application.

The NT Government will consider your application for nomination if one of the following applies and you meet the NT residency and work requirements (if you are living in Australia). Read important information if you already live in Australia.

  • your skilled occupation is on the NT Migration Occupation List
  • you have a skilled occupation that is on the Australian Government’s current list of eligible skilled occupations but not on the NT Migration Occupation List  and you provide strong evidence of good employment prospects in the NT in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation
  • you have successfully completed an eligible enrolled course – full-time and for at least two years at a college or university in the NT
  • you have a skilled occupation on the Australian Government’s current list of eligible skilled occupations and you can demonstrate strong, well established family connections in the NT.

How to apply for Northern Territory nomination

All applications must be in English. Any supporting documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a clear colour copy of the English translation.

There are some documents all applicants must provide. Whether you need to provide others will depend on your location and background.

Documents must be in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word DOC / DOCX formats attached to your email, not Cloud downloads.

All applicants

You must provide:

  • a completed online application for the Northern Territory (NT) Government subclass 491 and 190 nomination
  • a clear colour copy of your skills assessment, from the relevant Australian skills assessment and assessing authority, for the skilled occupation you have nominated
  • a detailed current copy of your curriculum vitae or resume
  • evidence of recent employment in the occupation for which you provided an assessment
  • clear colour copies of your qualifications, technical certificates and academic transcripts
  • clear colour copies of the identity page from your passport and those of any dependent family members you have included in your application – if you are now in Australia or have previously worked or studied in Australia you need to also include evidence of your visa
  • where required, verifiable evidence of your English proficiency – the NT Government accepts all English tests approved by Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs
  • copies of documents showing strong evidence that you can be easily employed in the NT, which could include:
    • a statement describing your understanding of the NT employment market for your occupation / industry and how your skills and experience are in line with NT employer needs (a generic statement is insufficient on its own)
    • evidence your occupation has been advertised in the NT multiple times and explanations of how your qualifications and experience match the selection criteria for real job examples (simple one or two sentence generic statements are insufficient)
    • real feedback from NT employers on your skills and experience (auto-generated responses from job websites and employer HR departments are insufficient)
    • a letter of offer of employment and / or signed employment contract from an NT employer (job offers are investigated and verified – bogus documents will result an application being deemed fraudulent)
  • a written statement about your commitment to the NT
  • additional documents outlined below, depending on your location and history within the NT.

If you are living in the NT

You must also provide:

  • bank statements for the six month before applying that clearly show your day-to-day spending in the NT as evidence you have been living in the NT, and
  • payslips for six months from a NT employer – this is not required for applicants who have completed their eligible studies in the NT.

If you are applying from outside Australia

You must also provide:

  • verifiable evidence of full-time employment in your nominated occupation for at least 12 months out of the last 24 months or evidence that you have Australian qualifications
  • evidence that you have done detailed research into living and working in the NT to show that you have a realistic knowledge of the NT including climate, relocation costs and living expenses – parts of websites copied and pasted into your submission are not accepted.

If you are not an NT resident or NT graduate

You must also provide:

  • evidence of your financial capacity to settle in the NT including net assets
  • information about any support networks you have in the NT, as these may be considered.

The table below gives you detail on the assets you need and the summary you have to provide.

Family compositionMinimum value of net assets
Individual applicantAU$35 000
Applicant and spouseAU$50 000
Applicant and spouse plus one childAU$60 000
Applicant and spouse plus two childrenAU$65 000

You must provide a list of all your financial assets in Australian dollars. You must provide evidence of those assets. For example, clear colour copies of bank statements, share certificates, property valuations and jewellery evaluations.

Your commitments if the Northern Territory Government nominates you

When you accept a nomination from Australia’s Northern Territory (NT) Government you are agreeing to do all of the following:

  • live and work in the NT in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for at least three years from when your visa is granted or from when you arrive in the NT
  • let the NT Government know the status of your visa application – you need to do this when your visa is granted or when you arrive
  • give your current contact details to the NT Government for a three year period
  • participate in surveys conducted by the NT Government to allow outcomes to be assessed.

If the NT Government approves your nomination application we will send you a declaration to sign and return. This is where you agree to all the obligations that are part of the nomination.

Who grants your visa

The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs grants visas.

The Northern Territory (NT) Government does not approve or grant visas.

You should learn about visa criteria and nomination requirements for the subclass of visa you want to apply for.

For detailed visa information go to the Department of Home Affairs website

How to submit your nomination application

All applications and supporting documents must be lodged through the online application